Seven Home Décor Quick Make-Over Tips
Rug Cleaning Manhattan Beach — If your home décor is beginning to look a little “frazzled”, then here are seven tips to give your room a quick make-over without breaking the family budget. Not all home decorating projects have to mean knocking down walls and hiring a contractor. You can easily accomplish these seven tips over a few days and bring a lifeless, dull room back to life.
1. CLEAN: If you have a family, then you probably have newspapers, magazines, books, toys, shoes, clothes, etc., that detract from the personality of your room. Find or create new storage spaces for these items. Give your draperies and upholstered furnishings a good vacuuming. Remove all your decorative collectibles and give each piece a thorough cleaning. You want the space to have a fresh beginning.
2. FOCAL POINT: If your room is lacking a focal point, try painting one wall in a different, but coordinating color, that complements the rest of your room and furnishings. The newly painted wall will instantly become the focal point of the room. Decorate the wall with interesting art work or a large ornately framed mirror. (If you opt to use a mirror, make sure it reflects a pleasant view – never a blank wall or closet door). Place a favorite piece of furniture against the new focal point wall to complete the look. If your room already has a nice focal point, consider giving the entire room a fresh new coat of paint. A simple color change can make an incredible difference in your room.
3. REARRANGE THE FURNITURE: No matter the size of your room, pull the furniture away from the walls. Place your furnishings at interesting angles in front of your focal point to create an intimate conversation area. If you room is narrow, try placing the sofa on the diagonal to make the room appear wider. Never arrange your room so that the traffic flow runs directly through your conversational area.
4. REARRANGE THE RUG: If you have an area rug, turn it on an angle and use it to define your newly arranged conversation area. If you have wall-to-wall carpeting, try layering a complimentary area rug in your conversation area. (Use carpet-to-carpet tape to anchor the area rug. This helps keep the area rug in place, and, more importantly, helps prevent someone from tripping over the edges of the rug).
5. ADD GREENERY: Breathe new life into your room with the addition of healthy green plants. Use plants of varying heights and species for interest. Keep your plants in good health and well-trimmed. (A vase of fresh cut flowers is always a beautiful addition to any room). If you have poor lighting, consider using good quality silk greenery. Silk greenery is actually a safer choice if you have small children or pets.
6. BUY SOME NEW LAMPS: Nothing can make your room look more outdated and stale than lamps from the sixties. Find unique, interesting lamps that will make a bold statement and relate to the personality of your room. Look for lighting with three-way switches. This offers you a variety of lighting options to set the mood in your room.
7. ADD PERSONALITY AND ACCESSORIES: Refresh your favorite family photographs by treating them to a new frame. Hang interesting artwork, mirrors or architectural pieces that reflect your personality. Give new life to your sofa and chairs with decorative pillows and throws. This is an easy way to add color and texture to your room. Create vignettes with your freshly cleaned collectibles. Group them in odd numbers at varying heights. Use hardbound books in stacks, or assorted decorative boxes, to assist with varying the heights. Bring in some candlelight to add drama and warmth. Last, but not least, add something “unexpected” just for fun.
With a little bit of imagination and creativity, you can turn your “frazzled” home décor into a fresh, exciting new space. Renew your passion for decorating your home – “one room at a time!”